Sunday, May 24, 2015

I'm culling my wardrobe

Being on holidays does have more benefits than a great tan!  As we were away for several weeks, my lovely nephew jumped in to live at our place for a while and look after the house etc.  This meant he needed some space in the wardrobe, so I moved a lot of my clothes into the spare room wardrobe. 
 
Now I have heard a lot about the reverse coat hanger method of working out what clothes you do and don't need.  In this method you reverse all the clothes in your wardrobe, and as you use something it goes in the right way, after a period of time you toss out everything that is in reverse. 
 

Time to toss out some of these clothes!

 
Good advise, but I have gone one step further.  NOTHING is coming back into the bedroom wardrobe unless it has been worn!  After just 3 weeks I have decided some things must go now!  It's drastic I know, but it does seem to work.  If you just do not wear some things, what is the use of having them?  Why do we keep them?
 
The problem: the Pareto Principle, or the 80-20 Rule.   This means that 80% of the output is determined by 20% of the input.   So,  80% of what you wear come from 20% of your wardrobe!
 
 
 



I paid a lot for it

I know, we all have them, clothes we paid a fortune for and now don't fit, look dated, or we just don't have the occasion to wear them.  But we paid a lot for them.  You just have to let them go, sell them on Ebay or Gumtree, and if they do not sell, just send them to Vinnie's.
 

I'm saving it for when I lose weight

Yep, I have clothes I love, but just do not fit into anymore.  If there is one sure fire way of making yourself feel bad, just stand in front of a wardrobe filled with clothes that are TOO SMALL.  So, take a deep breath and take out all the clothes you lo longer fit into, but remember one thing.  YOU ARE WONDERFUL JUST AS YOU ARE AT THIS VERY MOMENT.  Even if you do lose weight, chances are you won't want to wear your old clothes anyway, so they have to go.

I love it

Life, jobs and bodies change of time.  If you are holding onto clothes from a past career (as I am!) or a past life or past body, time for a change.  We all have that sexy little number we loved to wear, but ask yourself if you will ever truly wear it again.  the answer is probably no, and so hanging onto that item is holding you back.  LOVE YOUR FAMILY, YOUR FRIENDS, NOT YOUR CLOTHES.
 

I might need it

Yep, I have 4 raincoats in my wardrobe!  I used to wear them to and from work on windy and rainy days.  I don't work now, so I don't actually need them.  But I hang onto them in case I do....one day....
maybe.  If you have pieces in your wardrobe you might wear sometime, its time for them to go.
 
 
LET GO OF THE GUILT AND LET A NEW YOU IN
 
-----------------
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment