Saturday, January 17, 2015

Master bedroom makeover part 1

So, it was my husbands birthday and we were having a family party outside - a BBQ actually.  Two rooms everyone was going to see were my bathroom and my bedroom.  We re-did our bathroom a few years ago, and it needs no work other than a clean - tick!  My bedroom is OK but very drab, so PICK A ROOM - done, its the master bedroom first.
 
Here is the before photos:
 
The bed cover in a pale blue is a keeper, the bedside draws will have to stay, but there must be something I can do with them.  No real cushions!
 
 
 
The chest of drawers is a 1940's op shop find, and I do love it, but the bottom handle needs fixing and the top is quite cluttered.  The gold mirror is also rather out of place, it needs something too.
 
 
 
The 1940'2 club chair is part of a set, is a great colour and will be staying.  Same with the curtains, although they need a wash I think.
 
 
 
So, for a quick fix, I started looking for cushions for the bed, and maybe a big picture across the top.  No time for a bed-head, I only have a few days, and little money.  I first looked at what was needed, and decided:
  1. White background, in fact a bit of white.
  2. Some colour, mostly blue, green, maybe a pop of another colour.
  3. At least one cushion that would pull it together at the front.
I found just what I needed at Target and ordered it all online.  Here is the result:
 
I particularly love the Aloha cushion, as it ties in with the wall colour (which is a blue, although not obvious here).  The floral cushions behind it, fit the white with colour bill.
 
 
 
The picture behind the bed will need a little bit of re positioning, but will be fine for the day. It works well with the wall and picks up the red in the cushions nicely.  The cream throw at the bottom of the bed came from the living room (remember, reuse what you already have!)
 
 
 
The cushions still look good on the chair in the room as well.
 
 
So, for $59 (as everything was on sale) I got a quick fix for the bedroom, stage 1 complete, on to stage 2.  My plan is:
 
  1. Fix the chest of draw handle
  2. clean the curtains
  3. find a rug for the bottom of the bed
  4. find something blue for the bedside chest of draws.
  5. Repaint the doors.
Maybe that will be the finish, if there ever is a finish.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment