Saturday, August 16, 2014

How to get started on pinterest

A dear friend of mine said recently, "I am on pinterest, but I don't know how to use it."  I have used pinterest for several years, and here is how to get started. (my way!)



First, you have to sign up.
  1. go to pinterest.com or click here
  2. sign up and set an easy to remember password
Now, you can start some boards
  1. Take a look at your "favourites" - I bet you have things like <travel> <sewing> etc....  where you keep sites that are about what interests you. 
  2. Start some boards by clicking on the red cross at the top right hand side, then on <create a board>


Start as many boards as you like, and think about what interests you have.

Now start some generic boards
  1. Start a board called "Just stuff", and another called "things I like"
  2. Use these boards to drop things into, and sort them out later.  You will find that they will eventually have a theme, and you can just start a new board along that theme and move them there.
So, now you have some boards, but no pins in them! 
  1. Click on the red cross again, and then on <The pin it button ...> at the bottom of the list. 
  2. Add the "Pin It" button to your favourites bar.
Now, start pinning.
  1. Go to one of your favourites, and to the first website. 
  2. Then use the Pin it button (on your favourites bar) to find a picture that will help you remember that site and pin it.
  3. Make sure you choose the right board when you do pin it!  I have often pinned food to genealogy for instance!  But if you don't, just repin it and delete the wrong one.
  4. Put in a description that will mean something to you and someone else looking at it.
  5. Decide if you want them duplicated on facebook (I don't as I think it would be quite boring for my friends).
  6. Here is what I mean:

  1. Once you have pinned all your own favourites, its time to find other people's
  2. Pick a topic you are researching, or want to find out more about - you can choose a topic from the list to the left of the search bar or just search.
Follow some boards
  1. When you find a pin you are interested in, just pin it to your own board. 
  2. Simply hover your mouse over the pin, and the red "pin it" will come up, click on this and add it to one of your boards.
  3. You will see that other person's board to the right of the pin, click on this, and if it has things you are interested in "follow" that board.

 What I found was that my boards and interests started out quite generic, eg "travel", but soon became
much more specific - "Trip to the UK" for instance.  Recently I started a "genealogy" board, mostly to promote my blog, but I can see it is going to become UK Gen, Aust Gen etc....  Whatever way you use pinterest, do it your way and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment